Petrovka Street, 25
The main building of the Moscow Museum of Modern Art is of historical and cultural value. In the historical record of Moscow, this architectural monument belonging to the XVIII century is known as Gubin? s residence. Indeed, some centuries ago this building was the main house of the city estate of rich Ural landowner and merchant Mikhail Pavlovich Gubin. The building was constructed in 1793 by the famous Russian architect Matvey Kazakov.
The city district where the Museum is located was already inhabited by Moscovites in the 14th century. At that time, Petrovka street looked like a desert road, going from Vysokopetrovsky Monastery — vis-à-vis of the museum building — to the Kremlin. Till the end of the 17th century, the place where the mansion is located was the settlement of monastery? s workers. In the times of Peter the Great here, at Petrovka, was the huge estate of the boyar Naryshkin family, whose house had a bridge-like passage to the monastery.
Many landowners have changed until the territory was bought by the one whose name rests in centuries because of the beautiful monument that he built and that remained nearly untouched through more than 200 years. «I have a house in the White City... which was bought from Orenburg merchant Dmitry Kuzmin, son of Krasheninnikov...» — that? s how Gubin reports to Moscow office of city constructions on May 25, 1799. Researchers working on the architectural heritage of Matvey Kazakov suppose that the main building of the residence was rebuilt by the architect on the grounds of previous construction. The building with side-wings (one of them is preserved till nowadays) looked like a typical Moscow residence complex facing the street front. A park with small pond was situated behind the buildings. The residence remained in this condition until the end of the 19th century. Then it suffered the fate of many old Moscow residences: the partition of property. The major part of it with the garden and the pond was sold and overbuilt. In 1880, the main house was rent for gymnasium, where the famous Symbolist poet Valery Briusov and Bakhrushin brothers studied.
After the Revolution, the building? s destiny took another round. In 1920, the former gymnasium became the Institute of Physiotherapy and Orthopedics. During all the Soviet period, until the moment when the building became a museum, it served as a hospital foundation. Undoubtedly the external decor and the interiors suffered badly and needed capital restoration works. As a result, nowadays the visitor of the Museum can see the unique ceiling paintings in the classical style. Elements of the interior — front staircase, orchestral niche in the ball hall, ceramic stoves — still have an atmosphere of good old times of Moscow.
The idea to use the mansion as a museum of modern art is not a random one. The combination of old and new forms, the closest neighborhood of totally different styles raise a new possibility for the artist and for the viewer to find their own place in the synthetic space of culture. This element of free play with historic material is typical of the whole post-modern aesthetics. Many European countries had the same experience of exhibiting pieces of modern art in architectural spaces of other times.
Tuesday — Sunday: 12:00 — 21:00
Ermolaevsky Lane, 17
The second venue of the Moscow Museum of Modern Art is located at Ermolaevsky lane, 17. In Soviet times, the street was renamed in honour of Ivan Zholtovsky, classic of Soviet architecture, and now it bears its historic name.
The name Ermolaevsky was given to the lane after the church of Saint Ermolay «at the goat? s swamp» built in the 17th century, which hasn? t been preserved. Nowadays Maly Kozikhinsky lane runs through the place. The house where the Museum venue is located was constructed by Dmitry Markov in 1915 for the Moscow Architectural Society, financed by investments of architects. The society stayed in the building till 1932 and then was dissolved. Its last chairman in 1922-1932 was the renowned Moscow architect Alexey Schusev. In the Soviet era, the house belonged to the Moscow Union of Artists and served as a place for exhibitions of young artists and for the creative workshops. The building is executed in neoclassical style, which came after the Art Nouveau and was very popular at its own time.
On December, 3, 2003 the building was unveiled as the exhibition venue of the Moscow Museum of Modern Art and the MMOMA Education Center on 17 Ermolaevsky Lane was opened in the winter 2017. Center aims to become a platform for self-education, creative and social initiatives, academic research and will contribute the integration into the cultural life wide social groups.
Tuesday — Sunday: 12:00 — 21:00
Tverskoy Boulevard, 9
On February 7, 2007 the Moscow Museum of Modern Art opened its third exhibition venue — Gallery at Tverskoy boulevard. Since late 1960s, this space served as creative studio of Zurab Tsereteli, today’s President of the Russian Academy of Arts. At different times the guests of the artist were famous writers and poets, musicians and singers, artists, scientists, journalists and politicians. Here are just a few of key-names: poets Andrei Voznesensky and Evgeny Evtushenko; writers Chingiz Aitmatov and Vassily Aksenov; artists Robert Rauschenberg, Tair Salakhov, Boris Ugarov, Nikolai Ponomarev, Koka Ignatov, Yuri Kuper; producers, actors, musicians and singers Sergey Gerasimov, Tamara Makarova, Eldar Ryazanov, Georgy Danelia, Vladimir Vysotsky, Galina Volchek, Rolan Bykov, Iosif Kobzon, Zurab Sotkilava, Maya Plisetskaya, Rodion Schedrin, Robert Sturua; journalists Genrikh and Artem Borovik; scientists Evgeny Velihov and Petr Kapitsa; doctors Vladimir Burakovsky, Svyatoslav Fedorov, Leo Bokeria, Leonid Roshal; Italian cinema stars Marcello Mastroianni and Adriano Celentano, as well as many, many others.
With the opening of the Gallery , the Moscow Museum of Modern Art obtained a possibility to expand its exhibition activity and to present in full scale the newest trends of contemporary art to the public. The cozy space of the gallery is widely popular with the public and takes significant part in the cultural life of Moscow.
Tuesday — Sunday: 12:00 — 21:00
Gogolevsky Boulevard, 10
This building is also the creation of the architect Matvey Kazakov.It was built in the late XVIII century and belonged to the Tsurikov-Naryshkin.Currently, there are major international exhibition projects, scientific and practical conferences, symposiums.
Tuesday — Sunday: 12:00 — 21:00
Bolshaya Gruzinskaya, 15
On Bolshaya Gruzinskaya Street in Moscow there is a house built by merchant Vasily Gorbunov at the end of the 19th century. Today there is a museum of the artist Zurab Tsereteli.The exposition includes a collection of works by Zurab Tsereteli and a collection of his monumental sculptures in the courtyard along with mosaic and stained-glass compositions. On three floors there are over 250 works of painting, graphics, enamel and easel sculpture.The exposition on Bolshaya Gruzinskaya is dynamic and is formed by the artist himself.
Vadim Sidur Museum
Vadim Sidur Museum is a Moscow museum of modern sculpture and the largest collection of works by the world recognized sculptor, graphic artist and poet — a distinguished representative of the Soviet avant-garde art.
The establishment of the Museum was initiated in 1987 by his son — art historian Mickhail Sidur, Soviet and international cultural community when in the building of the future museum at 37A Novogireevskaya street opened the first in the USSR solo exhibition of sculptures by Vadim Sidur. In 1989 the exposition obtained an official museum status. In 2011 the Museum was included in the «Manezh» Museum and Exhibition Association.
In 2014 after a two-year reconstruction the Museum was opened to the public. The exhibition halls have been completely renovated, there appeared an entrance space with a cloakroom, ticket offices, cinema and lecture hall, as well as an area for chamber concerts and other public events. Since 2018 the Museum is part of the Moscow Museum of Modern Art.
Today, the Museum collection contains about 1000 units, 718 of them belong to the main fund. The core of the collection is sculptural and graphic works by Vadim Sidur, as well as paintings by A.S. Slepyshev, Y.N. Larin, L.L. Berlin. In addition to the permanent exposition the Museum offers a rich cultural program including exhibitions of contemporary artists, concerts, art shows and an educational program dedicated to the theory and history of culture and art of the 20th century and these days.
Buy a ticket:
Museum-Studio of Dmitry Nalbandyan
The Museum-Studio of Dmitry Nalbandyan was set up by the Moscow Government basing on the collection presented by the artist as a gift to the city in the end of 1992. Since 2018 the Museum-Studio is part of the Moscow Museum of Modern Art containing over 1500 artist’s works: paintings, sketches, drawings, photographs and personal belongings.
Dmitry Nalbandyan moved to the apartment in 8/2 Tverskaya street (then Gorky street) in 1956. The house’s tenants were Demyan Bedny, Ilya Erenburg, Mickhail Romm and in 1958 there was opened the famous bookstore N100 of the book trade house «Moscow». The artists — Kukryniks, Nickolai Zhukov, Fyodor Konstantinov, Vladimir Minaev and Dmitry Nalbandyan lived in the upper floors.
In the early 1990-s Nalbandyan bequeathed part of his collection to the city on condition that they would not leave the walls of his studio. At present, the Museum of Dmitry Nalbandyan recreates the space of live and creative work of the artist in the Soviet time. Dmitry Nalbansyan was born in 1906 in Tiflis. Having graduated from the Academy of Arts in Georgia where his teachers were Evgeny Lancere and Egishe Tatevosyan, Nalbansyan came to Moscow in 1931: he worked as a cartoonist for the «Crocodile» magazine, as an animator for the «Mosfilm» and poster artist for «Izogiz» publishing house. In 1934 there happened a fateful for his life event — in the Kremlin he met Sergo Ordzhonikidze, a friend of his father Arkady Nalbandyan assassinated by the Menshevics in Georgia. Ordzhonikidze introduced Nalbandyan to Sergey Kirov and the circle of the Party elite. Soon after Nalbandyan painted his first large canvas «Sergey Kirov’s Speech at the 27th Congress of the All-Union Communist Party» which was exhibited in the State Museum of Fine Arts, published in the newspapers «Pravda» and «Izvestia», reproduced in other editions. Nalbandyan became a member of the Moscow Union of Soviet Artists and Member of the Academy of Arts, holder of Stalin Prize for his portrait of Stalin, as well as Lenin Prize.
For the Soviet viewer Nalbandyan was the «first brush» of the Politburo, a classic of Socialist realism, portrait painter — chronicler of the epoch, author of invented and well-directed canvases: «Vladimir Mayakovsky in Georgia (Bagdadi) in 1927», «V.I. Lenin and A. M. Gorky Among Fishermen on the Island of Capri. 1908», «The Mighty Handful. Group Portrait of Eminent Figures of Armenian Culture» well-known in the Soviet time through reproductions in the «Ogonyok» magazine. The landscapes and still lifes of Nalbandyan are less known though it is these paintings that speak about him as an «impressionist of Korovin type» who is able to convey the mood with superb finesse. Dmitry Nalbandyan as a graphic artist is even lesser known. His drawings — the vast galley of political leaders and eminent figures of art: Lenin, Stalin, Khruschev, Brezhnev, Chernenko, as well as Saryan, Rerikh, Van Cliburn, Kataev, Leonov, which with clear exceptions were painted from the model and now are amazing documents of that time.
Telephone: 495 629 2872
Buy a ticket: